Today my husband and I make 6 years as a couple, so I’m going to veer off my wedding for just a little. In any case, it definitely wasn’t easy getting to where we are now. We experienced the good and the bad in all shapes and sizes.
We started everything very quickly, from moving in with each other as teenagers after only 6 months of dating. Because of this, we had experienced everything at a different scale of crazy, but through it all we stuck together.
Why we decided at a young age to hold on and how it happened is hard to pin point exactly but I have a few ideas I think made a difference in our relationship.
1. We never kept how we truly felt about an issue bottled up inside: This is very important. I find when you hold in anger, frustration and/or disappointment it tends to escalate into a time bomb that with the tiniest incident can make it explode into something very ugly, which becomes harder to fix then if you would have spoken about it when it started. I say if it bothers you then say it.
2. Bend a little and let him/her win a disagreement: He or she might be wrong but sometimes if it’s a little thing just say ok, your right, I’ll be more mindful next time and actually mean it! Lord only knows how many times the argument went nowhere because I was right and he was right and we weren’t giving in until finally one of us finally realized it was a pointless argument.
3. Realize that you are your own person and he/she is his/her own person: I learned this after a year or two together. Just because I liked something one way doesn’t mean he would like it the same way. If you like to do something and your other half doesn’t then that’s ok. Have differences. If you are too much alike you lose the excitement in the relationship.
4. A disagreement is just that, a disagreement: When you take that word to heart you realize it is just that and it becomes easier to smile the next day and be happy to see each other.
5. See each other as equals: I hate when I hear certain things such as the myth that a woman is supposed to cook and clean. Our relationship is based on what we like to do or can tolerate. I hate washing dishes but I like cooking so after dinner he washes the dishes. Compromising is the best policy.
6. Love each other and show it!!!!!: Is sounds so simple but it’s really hard for some people. I tell him I love him whenever I can and show it by doing little things. The little things really count, from notes left around the house to cleaning the house when it wasn’t expected.
I think if you follow the above six tips, you will be closer to a happy, long-term relationship.
Let me know what you think!!!